The National Physical Activity Society is offering scholarships to attend the National Walking Summit in St Paul, Minnesota, September 13-15, 2017.
The National Physical Activity Society is a sponsor of the 2017 National Walking Summit. As part of our professional development, NPAS is creating a scholarship program to offer five (5) full scholarships to the summit. The primary purposes of this scholarship program are (a) to support professional development of physical activity practitioners and (b) engage professionals who will disseminate information from the summit to others who can use it.
- Member of National Physical Activity Society (join free at http://physicalactivitysociety.org/)
- Must be a physical activity practitioner using public health approaches -- population-based interventions based on data, cross-sector partnerships, using tools and resources that address policy and/or changes in the community environment.
- Not for employees of for-profit companies (with the exception that consultants with small businesses can be considered)
Ineligible for this scholarship opportunity
- Employees of for-profit companies
- Not a physical activity practitioner
Application score centers around
- Written statement of professional commitment, citing how professional development enhances your work.
- Written statement regarding information dissemination assets and capabilities.
- Conference presenter
- Credentialed PAPHS
- CDC DNPAO Grantees
- Minority or underrepresented voice
- Tweeters (professional use under personal or organizational name)
NPAS will reimburse selected scholarship recipients for the following:
- Reasonable airfare, coach class. Airfares over $500 should be approved before booking.
- Registration for Summit at $375 ‘early bird’ rate.
- Federal per diem for Minneapolis/St Paul ($64/day), minus M&IE breakdown amount for meals provided. 1st and last day rate = 75% per diem, or $48. Receipts are not required for meals.
- Ground transportation -- transit to and from hotel at MSP. Receipts should be obtained for ground transportation if possible. Transit is strongly preferred over other forms of travel.
- Lodging at the conference hotel (IHG St Paul) for the nights of September 12, 13, and 14, 2017. Make your own reservations.
Any cost savings a recipient can make are appreciated, such as comparing airfare prices or sharing lodging rooms with another conference-goer. If an accepted scholarship recipient’s employer is willing to pay some costs, NPAS will gladly extend this offer to additional scholarship recipients.
NPAS will not pay for the following:
- Companion travel
- First class travel
- Incidentals charged to lodging room
- Days or lodging within the travel schedule not directly related to the business purpose
- Personal excursions
- Late fees
- Attend all National Walking Summit sessions September 13-15, 2017, and participate in scheduled activities. Summit starts Wednesday, September 13, at 7:30 a.m. Stay through final session of Summit ending at 12:00 p.m. on Friday, September 15.
- Submit reimbursement request with accompanying receipts by September 30, 2017. Due to our own funding requirements, we cannot pay after that date.
- Write 500-word blog regarding your experience at the Summit or interesting learnings, to be submitted with the reimbursement request by September 30, 2017.
- Recipients are responsible for obtaining travel approval through their employer and verifying planned attendance with NPAS by July 12, 2017.
Use this form. Deadline May 25th.
- April 3: Summit registration opens and NPAS scholarship application process opens
- May 25: NPAS scholarship applications due
- End of May: Review applications
- Late June: Notify recipients
- July 14: Early bird registration ends
- September 12-15: travel dates
- September 13-15: National Walking Summit, St Paul, Minnesota
- September 30: Written blog and claim forms for expenses must be submitted to NPAS.
Decisions of the NPAS reviewers are final.